What Is Social Engineering?
Social engineering is an attack vector that involves the use of deception to manipulate individuals into divulging confidential or personal information that may be used for fraudulent purposes. Our penetration testers use social engineering as a way to attack an organization’s security, to evaluate and report on areas of weaknesses present with their users or areas where additional training is necessary.
Types of Social Engineering Attacks
A-LIGN’s team of penetration testers have both conducted and seen a variety of social engineering attacks, including:
- Physical entry attacks: Where a penetration tester or hacker manages to enter a client building through a concealed identity or compromising physical security measures in place.
- Phishing attacks: A series of communications such as email messages or website forms that are sent in order to deceive individuals to provide sensitive information or execute malicious code.
- Phone attacks: Unsolicited phone calls from attackers pretending to be a legitimate source to capture sensitive information.
Steps to Prevent Social Engineering Attacks
A-LIGN’s experienced team understands these types of attacks, and the steps that you as an individual can take to avoid becoming a victim.
- Be aware of unsolicited calls, emails, or visits where individuals ask you for information that could be potentially sensitive. Try to verify anyone’s identity when possible.
- Do not provide personal information or information about your organization. This includes financial information, passwords, or other information that shouldn’t be readily available.
- If someone requests personal information, contact your information security team immediately to assess the situation.
Social Engineering Solutions Tailored to Your Company
Choosing A-LIGN as your partner in having your security tested through social engineering benefits your organization by:
- Alerting your organization to areas of weakness so that your organization can enhance controls and improve security awareness training.
- Utilizing techniques that emulate real-life phishing and social engineering attacks to understand the security of your system.
- Providing your organization with a skilled testing team that holds certifications such as CEH, CPT, CISSP, CISA, eCPPT, and more.
The A-LIGN Edge
Our customized compliance solutions and streamlined audit process allow you to meet all of your audit and compliance needs with a single service provider. One-stop shopping means a stress-free audit process for you, as you work with one team who understands the unique needs of your organization. See what our clients have to say:
Benefit from Our Expertise